Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"How do you live?"


I find it interesting observing people. When I was younger, it was not uncommon to sit down at the mall in between college classes and just sit and watch people. Many years ago I was taken in the back room of a grocery store to look for a specific Item, I noticed up on the wall a sign, it simply said, "There are Three Kinds of People in the World", those who Make Things Happen, Those Who Watch Things Happen and Those Who Wonder What Happened". I have never forgotten that sign and have applied it to my life in all that I Do! I always try and Make Things Happen.

By watching others, having served in the finest fighting force every assembled on the face of the earth, and by nature have all the characteristics of a SheepDog, I have come to notice people live their lives like unto a traffic light. My lovely wife, bless her heart, lives in a perpetual "Green light" mode. She will leave for the day often before daylight and go outside to her SUV as if she was back in the 60's. She drives somewhat the same way. Like most people out there, she is the only one on the road. When walking to and from her vehicle to where ever to where ever, she seldom watches the activities around her. She is always the first to answer the front door when the doorbell rings and our highly trained Shetland Sheepdog attack dog clears the air with his yips of warning to greet whomever is there. Most people live this way. On the other hand, a few of my Police and Firefighter friends, and former Veteran buddies tend to live there lives in the "Red". To them, the "Wolf" is always knocking at the door... To them, when the Termite is delivering the Pizza's that were never ordered, rather than question him, or call the exterminator, they find it easier to simply empty there service revolver into the varmit and be done with it. But, who could blame them??? They life day to day on the edge, every event is a drama to them, they deal with it everyday. Where as the "Green" guy pulls up to get gas at 10:00 P.M. and hasn't a clue who is around him, "Red" carefully sets up a defensive line and strategic plan of attack should an unsuspecting pedestrian walk by the station all in the sake of $15.00 in gas.

I myself prefer to live life in the "Yellow". I'm constantly orientating myself to the surroundings, I'm the one while getting gas has a pretty good handle on whats happening within the surrounding area of a few hundred yards. It's not uncommon to see me sitting on the back row in church on Sundays in an effort to have the advantage on some wackjob coming in and deciding that a few people get to meet God in person that day. My family is politely patient when I refuse to allow them into the house after a night out before I go in first and "clear" the premises. I often find comfort by being greeted by my vicious "Sheltie" yipping away in excitement at our return assuring me that the coast is clear. He surely would let me know if anyone was there, just try playing hid and seek in our home with him there, He will rat you out in seconds no matter where your hiding. If I don't hear him upon entry, no one goes in but me.

At that point only God can protect those that are where they should not be. I'm always aware of my surroundings, whats going on and am always watching and sniffing out prospective trouble should it arise. It's a Catch 22 for my family, they love my lifestyle, but wonder if sometimes I get to cautious.

So for those of you who like to sit in a dark parking lot at Wal-mart and ponder over your receipts after your purchase, perhaps a few minutes in the store would work better for you. When getting gas, pull up and look around, how often do pan handlers confront you??? And when you must go out late at night to put out the garbage you forgot gets picked up the next morning, wait until the group of teenagers, out well past curfew walk by in hopes of not being detected passes by, live a little in the "Yellow" and walk out to bid them a howdy do! Preferably with your 413 secured neatly by your side.

Times are different... Be aware... Be Alert... We need more Lerts out there.

God Bless you...

No comments: