Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Pioneer Day's" SLC, Utah





Pioneer Days Parade SLC. Utah



Liberty Park!

Jennifer, Marshall, Sandi, Taylor, Campbell and Claire.
Safari time????

Taylor taking a break from it all.

Sandi clowing around at the Hoogle Zoo
(Heritage Park, Salt Lake City, Utah-This is the Place)
Pioneer days in Salt Lake City was great this year... We got there Thursday and left on Saturday afternoon. Thanks again SLC Hilton for the complimentary rooms, you guys are the best as always... We enjoyed the Pioneer Days Parade, the floats, bands and other exhibits. The heat was nearly unbearable. Humidity at 37%, nothing like anything I have felt in Las Vegas. You would have to go back to the jungles of Viet Nam to enjoy such misery. Never the less, we had ample beverages, and ended up using the umbrellas meant for possible rain. They kept the sun out great. We left the parade and headed to Rubio's the fresh Mex restaurant that Sandi originally opened in 1999 if my memory serves. We met a nice couple there who new people we knew offered up a whole bunch of unexpected and interesting 411, and was stared down by a guy and his female companion who looked like he could be someones big brother and obviously looking for us there. We were able to stop at the Emergency essentials store in Taylorsville, what a great place. Because we drove the SUV we piled up the back end full of supplies that would have cost several hundreds in just shipping alone. They replaced a backpack and we bought a special one for me for night hiking and for my Mountain Bike competition trips.
We left and headed to Saltaire for a dismal hot visit to the Great Salt Lake. Right when we thought it couldn't get any hotter. We walked out to the waters edge before being attacked by some species of gnats or whatever. Taylor enjoyed it all and bought a souvenir as well as a ton of salt water taffy. Rather than going to Heritage park, we headed back to the suite and took a needed nap. We met later with Jennifer and Marshall and the twins at Pizza Palace where we ordered one of everything is seemed. The twins acted up some but settled down and finally we all ate a ton of pasta and pizza. Campbell and Claire stuffed themselves with pizza and were ready for a good nights sleep.
We all headed back up to Heritage Park only to find the Pioneer festivities over for the day. The Bullocks left for home and we headed to Liberty Park for the evening activities. Talk about hot and miserable. On the ferris wheel, Sandi spoke to a life long resident who told her that the humidity had never been this bad in all the years she lived there. We were just lucky that way.
We bought some items from the booths, and sat around the lake. The last time I was at Liberty Park was in 1984 for a Marine Corps PFT. We had to go to a command change at Fort Douglas and got roped into running around the park for time. It looked nothing like I remembered.
The fireworks were awesome, one doesn't see much like that in LV unless it is July 4th or New Years Eve. I had decided to park several blocks away from the park and walk. Thank goodness for that, we were able to evade some nasty traffic..
We got to bed at 11:30P.M.
Saturday, it rained for a few minutes, we loaded up the Durango, grabbed some breakfast and headed over to drop off some things at a house.
From there we headed to the Hoogle Zoo for three hours of fascination. The twins had a blast and Taylor enjoyed the fun as well. It wasn't that hot with the clouds, but humid still. We said our goodbyes and we left, went to the Heritage park and watched a movie, walked around and took pictures, fueled up, grabbed some snacks and headed south.
We Stopped at KFC in Cedar City, it was cool and breezy, Sandi and Taylor slept while I caught up on some music with a pair of sweet Boze headphones.
We needed to have a new electrical line installed at the property in New Harmony so we stopped and checked to see if it was installed and it was... We were there for about five minutes.
Off to Vegas for a good nights sleep and to sleep in, and we did.
What a wonderful time had by all. It was good to visit friends and family... Still planning to go to the Eastern Idaho Fair on Labor Day weekend.
This was a fun weekend.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al & Sandi,
Wow, looks like you guys had a great but hot time...
Susan

Anonymous said...

Lane's,
You guys know how to party...
Take me with you next time okay?
or let us know when your going, we will trade you gas for food storage and really load up that sweet SUV you own! yeah!
Thanks, Ken

A Lane said...

Did everyone get my e mails at once? ha ha.. Yeah, great time, hot, got a ton of stuff done, got alot of info while I was there and relaxed mostly... Didn't do it all but that's a mistery...

Anonymous said...

What did you mean you didn't do it all? You didn't mention anything about the package you dropped off. Is that what your talking about? They must have been estatic about it!

A Lane said...

I wouldn't know. It's been a week today and Haven't heard a peep!

Anonymous said...

What? are you kidding me? Not even a notice that they received it? Mark called that no Class and low budget! We can't believe you didn't get even a "we received it, thank you! Didn't you say your ex's husband was a Bishop?
Susan

A Lane said...

Well, I guess I'm going to have defend my ex and her other half on this one. I'm putting it on here because I have had a bunch of mail over this. First and formost remember Sue, returning this property wasn't about and had nothing to do with her or him. It was about me keeping a committment I made years ago. These are things that could never be replaced. I kept that committment. (I always get my way, remember? Yes you do!) These people have absolutely no Importance in my life. As we discussed, at the Rubio's, we met a couple who where sitting next to us with their small children, when they overheard our disscussion, they asked how we knew my ex. I explained and they told me that they had been in their ward a while back. We talked at length. I found out things that surprised me somewhat but then didn't. I knew up front there was never going to be a meeting. Not a chance. It would have been nice. Remember, her family originally blamed me for her first marriage failure which was well over before she and I met. The worm has turned in this relationship as well, and would this meeting be used as a reason if this marriage failed in the future? It won't, (the marriage) but you get the point. Here is the reasons: I was told this guy is a Narcisistic, prideful person, yet very very insecure about himself. He is about to retire from a 65-70K a year job (It seems I pay that in taxes) he's ready to get his gold watch and she has had to go to work at 51 years old to help pay the bills. They have a drop dead gorgeous daughter on a mission, 21, a college graduate and on an LDS Mission? HUH??? Why isn't she married?? They pointed us to a few videos. (Touche~) They hardley ever talk about or place on his blog their middle daughter who is attending college at BYU???
Why??? He talkes about himself all the time on his blog. He promotes himself as a competitive cyclist, but is nothing more that an exhibition rider. Could it be he is a bit embarrassed about his family? et. al. Sandi and I were only going to offer to help with their daughters mission finances. This guy is a Mormon Bishop.. After living in the same home for 20 years and the same ward, so sooner or later you have to get called to be the Bishop or a counselor or it doesn't look right. I was told being the Bishop was more about him than the calling it'self. (that was obvious to me on his blog) While we were sitting at Rubio's a guy came in (I was watching for my ex) and this guy was staring at us, had a dark headed girl with him, (wife-girlfriend) and you could tell she wasn't having any part of what was going on. I would bet my next years income that it was his brother, having never met my ex's husband I studied his face so In that I would recognize him if he came in alone. At first I thought it was him, only up close you could tell it was a brother with darker hair and balding. At first I thought it was someone to get the package, but no contact was made.
Bottem line, had we met, become friends, invited them to stop by while in LV, etc, what was my ex going to tell her mom and dad? Expecially when It was "Daddy" who wanted her to marry a return missionary and not me because I was a Veteran so I wasn't good enough. "Gee Dad, I really screwed up"??? She would have had a completely different life with me as your aware of my finances. Maybe I would have even done some callings in the church..
It's behind me now.. As others have said; "it's her loss"! Still it would have been nice to get a hug and thank you. Yet, I can assure you, that her entire family held her feet to the fire in a massive effort to not meet with me. I can only imagine the extent or even threats that they may have used, up to and including church action. Myself, I'm sure she would have loved to visit for awhile. She will always be special no matter what. And if I'm wrong, well I guess I can dig out my old Garth Brooks CD's and start listening to his song "Unanswered Prayer's" I hope that this helps.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That makes total sense!
Thanks, Sue & Mark and kids

Anonymous said...

How fun was that... Ours was hot and arid here in LV but I hate humidity even more. I'll go next time with you if just for the Rubio's
Steve

Anonymous said...

Hey, did you guys ever get a thank you or acknowledgment? I still can't believe what happened!
Daniel