Sunday, February 15, 2009

"I hope our pets are with us in Heaven"

Shortly after we purchased our new Las Vegas home, we were invited out to my secretary's, and former school mates house for a swim and BBQ. They had two beautiful Shetland Sheepdogs somewhat a rare breed in Nevada. Most people are getting pit bulls, Labs, etc., but I thought how cool these little dogs were.
Shortly before giving her notice to leave the business, she told me her dogs had a litter of 6 beautiful puppies. Sandi was adamant about no dogs, but a cat was okay. I learned back in my college days at BYU to like cats, as my former fiance~ had several. She gave me one for my birthday, I named him Barney after the dinosaur character on TV back then, and surprised my wife and two year old with a beautiful Sheltie "puppy"!
Barney never took hold well, as I was new at training him to not do his puppy business on our beautiful carpets in this very new home. (We later put in wood flooring). Most of the time, Sandi spent yelling at the dog for something or the other. All the time it was, Puppy, don't do that! or Puppy, don't P*$ss in the house, etc., it got so bad that when I would call him by his given name Barney, he would look at me like; "Who is this guy calling?"
We later found out what a beautiful or should I say, Handsome breed of dog this was. "Puppy" grew into a rather large male, but it was just fun. We found out he was very perceptive and smart as well. He never did well on road trips (I had to clean up the back of the truck cab many times) so we decided to relegate him to home security duties. He reminds me of "Radar" on M.A.S.H., always one step ahead of what we are doing. He has his routines down. I never need an alarm clock, it's up at 06:30 on the dot, daily. He knows my routines as well. If I start to tie up the garbage bag he's up and ready to go. If I grab my thumper to take out a few "Roof Rat's" he gets wound up like an eight day clock. (which is most of the time anyway.)
He says prayers with us at night, he kneels with us, when I get up in the morning, he stands next to his collar and bandanna until it is where it belongs, and is possessive of his loved one's.
Puppy's my best friend. Never gets mad at me, is always excited to see us, even when Sandi's had a rough day at the restaurant and grumbling on the way in the door, Puppy is always there eager to get his pet.
I hope our pets are with us in Heaven! Since I have little or no contact with my siblings, I would rather all my wonderful pets are there "if" and when I arrive. Puppy is six today! I hope he out lives me. But if not, I hope he is the first thing I see "if" and when I pass through the Pearly Gates. I hope he runs up and jumps in my arms like now. What a great way to start Eternity!
God Bless my Family

No comments: