Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Nellis AFB" Air show, USAF Thunderbirds"

                                 My brother in law and I decided a last minute run out the to the Air Show this November.  I had just completed several days of Medical treatments and tests and it is usually about three days afterwards that the "Train" runs over me for about a week.  But the day was beautiful, a Sunday and the last demonstration for the "Thunderbirds" for the year...  Unlike the masses who have to park way out at the Speedway and be shuttled to the base, where they go through vigorous screenings and metal detectors, we just always pull up to the main gate and flash our Military ID's and they let us go on base and park where ever we want, usually by the Fire Station where my Father spent 34 years as a Crash/Rescue Firefighter/Fire Chief...  I was a bit reluctant to walk around too much but I kept staying hydrated, and ate before I left to pick up Steve.  The crowd was noticeably smaller this year but still a great turnout.  We walked all around while observing all the ancillary side shows going on, like the "Red Bull" stunt plane, parachutists, and the "Heritage Flights" (way Cool")  We particularly enjoyed the "Static" platforms that were on display.  Steve still knew some of the Airmen and said hello...   We spent 4 hours walking around (later would come back and bite me in the Derriere,)  but never the less enjoyed the event...  This is one of the few times I really enjoy getting out for the day....
Steve spent twenty years in the Air force and now works for a private contractor.  He was also in Afghanistan earlier this year.
It's funny, every time you run into a fighter pilot, they are always fascinated by Helicopter pilots.  I originally wanted to join the Air force and become a fighter pilot and be a "Thunder Bird Pilot" but Dad gave me anything but encouragement.  I too am fascinated with Jet's and fighter pilots.  Had I been able to be one I would have chosen this little "Bad Boy" the A-10 Warthog.  A nasty little weapons platform.  We saw ton's of these in Desert Storm in 91'...  This would have been my aircraft of choice.  Well, this is about as close as I will ever get to one I suppose.  Maybe, just maybe I can become a celebrity one day and catch a ride in one of these.  "I'll never be the same"...


The old "0-2" "Bird Dog" used by USAF Reconnaissance pilots in Viet Nam to spot downed pilots.  This what my good friend "Uncle" Charlie flew in Viet Nam...


"The Few The Proud"  (This title has to be Earned)  U.S. Marine


Thunderbird Solo climbs for the loop....


Video's >>>>





The "Heritage Flight" once in a life time sight!  F-16 Eagle, P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk and the F-22 Raptor!!!  From Past to Present....
The A-10 Warhog shows off it's turning and climbing abilities...

Two USAF Pavehawks demonstate a Mock rescue while the F-22 "RAPTOR" provides close ground support during the rescue...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be picky, but the plane "Uncle Charlie" flew was not a Bird Dog. That's a Cessna O-2 Super Skymaster. The Bird Dog was a little single engine, high wing which looked like a Piper Cub.

A Lane said...

Well "Uncle Charlie" refered to the Plane he flew as the "Bird Dog" or "Pusher/Puller". I'll have to get on him about it. Thanks for this info. Please fill free to leave your name and contact info. Thanks!